Hot Deploy From Ant

Alan Gutierrez-6
    I'd like to hot deploy a war from Ant. I tried using HTTP GET to
    toggle the admin interface, and it worked for an unzipped web
    application, but I find it doesn't work for a WAR.

    I know that when the war changes, the application should be
    updated. Is there an easy way to trigger a hot deploy from Ant?

--
Alan Gutierrez - [hidden email] - http://engrm.com/blogometer/

Re: Hot Deploy From Ant

Alan Gutierrez-6
* Alan Gutierrez <[hidden email]> [2005-10-05 13:12]:
>     I'd like to hot deploy a war from Ant. I tried using HTTP GET to
>     toggle the admin interface, and it worked for an unzipped web
>     application, but I find it doesn't work for a WAR.
>
>     I know that when the war changes, the application should be
>     updated. Is there an easy way to trigger a hot deploy from Ant?

    When I stop and start from the admin interface Jetty does not
    seem to unpack a new WAR. Is this correct?

--
Alan Gutierrez - [hidden email] - http://engrm.com/blogometer/

Re: Hot Deploy From Ant

Alan Gutierrez-6
* Alan Gutierrez <[hidden email]> [2005-10-06 01:48]:

> * Alan Gutierrez <[hidden email]> [2005-10-05 13:12]:
> >     I'd like to hot deploy a war from Ant. I tried using HTTP GET to
> >     toggle the admin interface, and it worked for an unzipped web
> >     application, but I find it doesn't work for a WAR.
> >
> >     I know that when the war changes, the application should be
> >     updated. Is there an easy way to trigger a hot deploy from Ant?
>
>     When I stop and start from the admin interface Jetty does not
>     seem to unpack a new WAR. Is this correct?

    It is correct.

    Please tell me where I can find some example Java source to
    build my own hot deployer.

    Thank you.

--
Alan Gutierrez - [hidden email] - http://engrm.com/blogometer/

Re: Hot Deploy From Ant

Greg Wilkins-5

Alan,

Normally in development mode it is simple and fast enough to restart Jetty every
time.  I normally just run the org.mortbay.jetty.Server class as a main
application class in eclipse and it takes hardly any time to start.

If you really want hot deploy, then you probably need to delete
the unpacked WAR (or just deploy unpacked).

However, I will look to see why the WAR is not being unpacked again.
It should be if the WAR date is more recent than the directory of the
WAR.

cheers

Alan Gutierrez wrote:

> * Alan Gutierrez <[hidden email]> [2005-10-06 01:48]:
>
>>* Alan Gutierrez <[hidden email]> [2005-10-05 13:12]:
>>
>>>    I'd like to hot deploy a war from Ant. I tried using HTTP GET to
>>>    toggle the admin interface, and it worked for an unzipped web
>>>    application, but I find it doesn't work for a WAR.
>>>
>>>    I know that when the war changes, the application should be
>>>    updated. Is there an easy way to trigger a hot deploy from Ant?
>>
>>    When I stop and start from the admin interface Jetty does not
>>    seem to unpack a new WAR. Is this correct?
>

>     It is correct.
>
>     Please tell me where I can find some example Java source to
>     build my own hot deployer.
>
>     Thank you.
>
> --
> Alan Gutierrez - [hidden email] - http://engrm.com/blogometer/

Re: Hot Deploy From Ant

I just debugged through the code that unpacks WAR files and it definitely
re-extracts the war file over a stop/start.   What version are you using?

Re: Re: Hot Deploy From Ant

Alan Gutierrez-6
* Greg Wilkins <[hidden email]> [2005-10-06 06:05]:

> I just debugged through the code that unpacks WAR files and it definitely
> re-extracts the war file over a stop/start.   What version are you using?

    Thank you. That's very cool.

    I'm using 4.2.24, but I'll switch to 5.1.4 before I take up any
    more of your time.

    I didn't realize that 4.2.24 was deprecated. Sorry.

--
Alan Gutierrez - [hidden email] - http://engrm.com/blogometer/

Re: Re: Hot Deploy From Ant

Alan Gutierrez-6
* Alan Gutierrez <[hidden email]> [2005-10-06 20:28]:

> * Greg Wilkins <[hidden email]> [2005-10-06 06:05]:
> >
> > I just debugged through the code that unpacks WAR files and it definitely
> > re-extracts the war file over a stop/start.   What version are you using?
>
>     Thank you. That's very cool.
>
>     I'm using 4.2.24, but I'll switch to 5.1.4 before I take up any
>     more of your time.
>
>     I didn't realize that 4.2.24 was deprecated. Sorry.

    Hot deploy seems to be working in my testing. Thank you.

    Jetty rules. Thanks for this software.

--
Alan Gutierrez - [hidden email] - http://engrm.com/blogometer/