HTTPServer constructor never returns

chazzs
I have an application that on application start, i spawn two threads.  one that is a slightly higher than normal priority thread that initializes system stuff, the other thread that is slightly lower than normal that starts up a class that extends Jetty HTTPServer.  When time comes to construct the HTTPServer (call to super(); ) I never hear from the thread again; the call to super() never returns.  I have logging calls just before i call the extending class' constructor and just after the call to super().  I get no exceptions, the application goes on but I never hear from my network init thread and naturally I cant point a browser at it.

what could be causing this?

To further qualify; This is happening on an install of WindowsXP corporate laptop and is, most likely, considerably locked down.  I am unable to attach a debugger to it as the machine is not actually in my possession.