HTTP 1.1 Request Pipelining handling

Paolo Linux
Hi all,
        We are developing an application that requires that
all HTTP1.1 pipelined request are processed in a serial
order (not in parallel). As we have seen the SocketListener
and HTTPConnection implementation in jetty 5.1.4 satisfy this requirement.

Is our very quick analysis correct?
Is this also true for the nio implementation?

This sort of handling doesn't seem to be stricly required by HTTP1.1
standard. Does the roadmap of jetty has something planned as far as this
"serialization of requests" behavior is concerned? We would not like it
to change :-)

        Thanks
        Paolo

Re: HTTP 1.1 Request Pipelining handling

Greg Wilkins-5
Paolo,

Jetty makes no attempt to execute pipeline requests in parallel.

Nor do I have any plans to attempt to do so, as I see little benefits.

The main benefit of pipelining is to avoid round trip latency to
the client.  This is a huge benefit and parallel execution would
gain little more  at the cost of lots of complexity and total throughput.

cheers