Dynamic contexts

Radu Bulboaca

Hi,

I want to enable Jetty to dynamically load contexts after they’re added or modified on the file system. I saw it can reload modified .jsp files and I’d like to know if it’s possible to do the same for contexts (I’m aware of the fact that contexts are much more complex).

Do you know if anyone has tried this before?

The biggest challenge seems to be servlet reloading, but I’d like to hear what you think may be the more serious technical difficulties.

Re: Dynamic contexts

Greg Wilkins-5

See http://jetty.mortbay.org/jetty/faq?s=500-Servlets&t=reload

there are just too many option to make Jetty support servlet/context reloading
out of the box:

  + what file to monitor
  + how often
  + do you passivate sessions?
  + what other lifecycle events to do do for the context?
  + is reloading at the servlet level or for the whole context etc. etc.

If you know the answer for these for your application, then you can
simply extend the WebApplicationContext class to implement them.  But any
generic code for this would have to be REALLY slick before I considered merging it.

NB. you can also just run Jetty in an IDE and get lots of class reloading!

cheers

Radu Bulboaca wrote:

> Hi,
>

> I want to enable Jetty to dynamically load contexts after they’re added
> or modified on the file system. I saw it can reload modified .jsp files
> and I’d like to know if it’s possible to do the same for contexts (I’m
> aware of the fact that contexts are much more complex).
>

> Do you know if anyone has tried this before?
>

> The biggest challenge seems to be servlet reloading, but I’d like to
> hear what you think may be the more serious technical difficulties.
>

> Thanks,

Re: Re: Dynamic contexts

Pier Fumagalli-2
I've seen someone playing about with Jetty, Cocoon and Commons-JCI
<http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/sandbox/jci/> to have classes
automatically recompiled and reloaded FROM THE SOURCE! :-D

That was pretty amazing, and they already implemented a reloading
class loader: <http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/sandbox/jci/apidocs/
org/apache/commons/jci/ReloadingClassLoader.html>

     Pier

On 19 Oct 2005, at 14:29, Greg Wilkins wrote:

> See http://jetty.mortbay.org/jetty/faq?s=500-Servlets&t=reload
>
> there are just too many option to make Jetty support servlet/
> context reloading
> out of the box:
>
>   + what file to monitor
>   + how often
>   + do you passivate sessions?
>   + what other lifecycle events to do do for the context?
>   + is reloading at the servlet level or for the whole context etc.
> etc.
>
> If you know the answer for these for your application, then you can
> simply extend the WebApplicationContext class to implement them.
> But any
> generic code for this would have to be REALLY slick before I
> considered merging it.
>
> NB. you can also just run Jetty in an IDE and get lots of class
> reloading!
>
> cheers
>

> Radu Bulboaca wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>

>> I want to enable Jetty to dynamically load contexts after they’re
>> added
>> or modified on the file system. I saw it can reload modified .jsp
>> files
>> and I’d like to know if it’s possible to do the same for contexts
>> (I’m
>> aware of the fact that contexts are much more complex).
>>

>> Do you know if anyone has tried this before?
>>

>> The biggest challenge seems to be servlet reloading, but I’d like to
>> hear what you think may be the more serious technical difficulties.
>>

>> Thanks,

smime.p7s (3K) Download Attachment