Catastrophic failures this morning with maven-jetty6-plugin?

Catastrophic failures this morning with maven-jetty6-plugin?

David Main
Hello -

Has anyone encountered this problem today:

> org.apache.jasper.JasperException: /WEB-INF/jsp/home.jsp(1,1) The
> absolute uri: http://java.sun.com/jsp/jstl/core cannot be resolved
> in either web.xml or the jar files deployed with this application
>         at org.apache.jasper.compiler.DefaultErrorHandler.jspError
> (DefaultErrorHandler.java:39)
>         at org.apache.jasper.compiler.ErrorDispatcher.dispatch
> (ErrorDispatcher.java:405)
>         at org.apache.jasper.compiler.ErrorDispatcher.jspError
> (ErrorDispatcher.java:86)
>         at org.apache.jasper.compiler.Parser.processIncludeDirective
> (Parser.java:339)
>         at org.apache.jasper.compiler.Parser.parseIncludeDirective
> (Parser.java:372)
>         at org.apache.jasper.compiler.Parser.parseDirective
> (Parser.java:484)
>         at org.apache.jasper.compiler.Parser.parseElements
> (Parser.java:1552)
>         at org.apache.jasper.compiler.Parser.parse(Parser.java:126)
>         at org.apache.jasper.compiler.ParserController.doParse
> (ParserController.java:211)
>         at org.apache.jasper.compiler.ParserController.parse
> (ParserController.java:100)
>         at org.apache.jasper.compiler.Compiler.generateJava
> (Compiler.java:146)
>         at org.apache.jasper.compiler.Compiler.compile
> (Compiler.java:286)
>         at org.apache.jasper.compiler.Compiler.compile
> (Compiler.java:267)
>         at org.apache.jasper.compiler.Compiler.compile
> (Compiler.java:255)
>         at org.apache.jasper.JspCompilationContext.compile
> (JspCompilationContext.java:563)
>         at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServletWrapper.service
> (JspServletWrapper.java:293)
>         at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.serviceJspFile
> (JspServlet.java:314)
>         at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.service
> (JspServlet.java:264)
>         at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:
> 860)
> [snip...]

I have changed nothing about my app... only ran "mvn jetty6:run" this
morning.  Saw a bunch of new jars downloaded.  Then everything
busted.  I also tried rebuilding my repo from scratch to the same
affect.

I'm a relative newby at this, so any thoughts about how to resolve
this would be greatly appreciated.  If I could restore my local
repository to its state this morning before the downloads, I really
would, but I don't know how to do that either.

Thanks!
--David

Re: Catastrophic failures this morning with maven-jetty6-plugin?

jan_bartel
Hi David,

Is this still a problem or has it resolved?

David Main wrote:

> Hello -
>
> Has anyone encountered this problem today:
>
>> org.apache.jasper.JasperException: /WEB-INF/jsp/home.jsp(1,1) The
>> absolute uri: http://java.sun.com/jsp/jstl/core cannot be resolved  in
>> either web.xml or the jar files deployed with this application
>>         at org.apache.jasper.compiler.DefaultErrorHandler.jspError
>> (DefaultErrorHandler.java:39)
>>         at org.apache.jasper.compiler.ErrorDispatcher.dispatch
>> (ErrorDispatcher.java:405)
>>         at org.apache.jasper.compiler.ErrorDispatcher.jspError
>> (ErrorDispatcher.java:86)
>>         at org.apache.jasper.compiler.Parser.processIncludeDirective
>> (Parser.java:339)
>>         at org.apache.jasper.compiler.Parser.parseIncludeDirective
>> (Parser.java:372)
>>         at org.apache.jasper.compiler.Parser.parseDirective
>> (Parser.java:484)
>>         at org.apache.jasper.compiler.Parser.parseElements
>> (Parser.java:1552)
>>         at org.apache.jasper.compiler.Parser.parse(Parser.java:126)
>>         at org.apache.jasper.compiler.ParserController.doParse
>> (ParserController.java:211)
>>         at org.apache.jasper.compiler.ParserController.parse
>> (ParserController.java:100)
>>         at org.apache.jasper.compiler.Compiler.generateJava
>> (Compiler.java:146)
>>         at org.apache.jasper.compiler.Compiler.compile
>> (Compiler.java:286)
>>         at org.apache.jasper.compiler.Compiler.compile
>> (Compiler.java:267)
>>         at org.apache.jasper.compiler.Compiler.compile
>> (Compiler.java:255)
>>         at org.apache.jasper.JspCompilationContext.compile
>> (JspCompilationContext.java:563)
>>         at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServletWrapper.service
>> (JspServletWrapper.java:293)
>>         at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.serviceJspFile
>> (JspServlet.java:314)
>>         at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.service
>> (JspServlet.java:264)
>>         at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java: 860)
>> [snip...]
>

> I have changed nothing about my app... only ran "mvn jetty6:run" this
> morning.  Saw a bunch of new jars downloaded.  Then everything  busted.
> I also tried rebuilding my repo from scratch to the same  affect.
>
> I'm a relative newby at this, so any thoughts about how to resolve  this
> would be greatly appreciated.  If I could restore my local  repository
> to its state this morning before the downloads, I really  would, but I
> don't know how to do that either.
>
> Thanks!
> --David

Re: Re: Catastrophic failures this morning with maven-jetty6-plugin?

David Main
Hey Jan, thanks for the reply!

To be honest, I never figured it out.  I hate to say it, but I have
abandoned using the maven-jetty6-plugin for now.  I can deploy my war
to Tomcat and the uri is resolved without issue.

The following might have been related:

* The servlet-api-2.4.jar was on my classpath, but perhaps shouldn't
have been
* Same for jsp-api-2.0.jar

Those jars specifically had to be excluded from my war in order for
Tomcat to deploy it.

Although Jetty seemed to report that standard-1.1.2.jar and
jstl-1.1.2.jar were on the classpath, I have my suspicions because I
was also having trouble finding c.tld which resides in
standard-1.1.2.jar.

I just tried the plugin again, still to no avail.  It complains now
with this stacktrace:

> 16997 [BoundedThreadPool0-1] WARN org.mortbay.log - /autoplan/WEB-
> INF/jsp/home.jsp
> org.xml.sax.SAXException: Internal Error: File /javax/servlet/
> resources/web-app_2_3.dtd not found
>         at
> org.apache.jasper.xmlparser.MyEntityResolver.resolveEntity
> (ParserUtils.java:205)
>         at
> org.apache.xerces.util.EntityResolverWrapper.resolveEntity(Unknown
> Source)
>         at org.apache.xerces.impl.XMLEntityManager.resolveEntity
> (Unknown Source)
>         at org.apache.xerces.impl.XMLDocumentScannerImpl
> $DTDDispatcher.dispatch(Unknown Source)
>         at
> org.apache.xerces.impl.XMLDocumentFragmentScannerImpl.scanDocument
> (Unknown Source)
>         at org.apache.xerces.parsers.XML11Configuration.parse
> (Unknown Source)
>         at org.apache.xerces.parsers.XML11Configuration.parse
> (Unknown Source)
>         at org.apache.xerces.parsers.XMLParser.parse(Unknown Source)
>         at org.apache.xerces.parsers.DOMParser.parse(Unknown Source)
>         at org.apache.xerces.jaxp.DocumentBuilderImpl.parse(Unknown
> Source)
>         at org.apache.jasper.xmlparser.ParserUtils.parseXMLDocument
> (ParserUtils.java:95)
>         at org.apache.jasper.compiler.JspConfig.processWebDotXml
> (JspConfig.java:76)
>         at org.apache.jasper.compiler.JspConfig.init(JspConfig.java:
> 197)
>         at org.apache.jasper.compiler.JspConfig.findJspProperty
> (JspConfig.java:249)
>         at org.apache.jasper.compiler.Compiler.generateJava
> (Compiler.java:103)
>         at org.apache.jasper.compiler.Compiler.compile
> (Compiler.java:286)
>         at org.apache.jasper.compiler.Compiler.compile
> (Compiler.java:267)
>         at org.apache.jasper.compiler.Compiler.compile
> (Compiler.java:255)
>         at org.apache.jasper.JspCompilationContext.compile
> (JspCompilationContext.java:563)
>         at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServletWrapper.service
> (JspServletWrapper.java:293)
>         at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.serviceJspFile
> (JspServlet.java:314)
>         at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.service
> (JspServlet.java:264)
>         at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:
> 860)
> [snip...]

web-app_2_3.dtd resides in servlet-api-2.4.jar, which I specifically
see the plugin adding to the class path (or at least this is how I
interpret these messages):

> [DEBUG] Adding artifact jta-1.0.1B.jar for WEB-INF/lib
> [DEBUG] Adding artifact commons-logging-1.0.4.jar for WEB-INF/lib
> [DEBUG] Adding artifact log4j-1.2.8.jar for WEB-INF/lib
> [DEBUG] Adding artifact servlet-api-2.4.jar for WEB-INF/lib
> [DEBUG] Adding artifact dom4j-1.6.1.jar for WEB-INF/lib
> [DEBUG] Adding artifact ehcache-1.1.jar for WEB-INF/lib
> [DEBUG] Adding artifact spring-1.2.6.jar for WEB-INF/lib
> [DEBUG] Adding artifact cglib-2.1_3.jar for WEB-INF/lib
> [DEBUG] Adding artifact jstl-1.1.2.jar for WEB-INF/lib
> [DEBUG] Adding artifact commons-collections-2.1.1.jar for WEB-INF/lib
> [DEBUG] Adding artifact asm-1.5.3.jar for WEB-INF/lib
> [DEBUG] Adding artifact odmg-3.0.jar for WEB-INF/lib
> [DEBUG] Adding artifact standard-1.1.2.jar for WEB-INF/lib
> [DEBUG] Adding artifact antlr-2.7.6rc1.jar for WEB-INF/lib
> [DEBUG] Adding artifact hibernate-3.1.1.jar for WEB-INF/lib
> [DEBUG] Adding artifact hibernate-2.1.8.jar for WEB-INF/lib
> [DEBUG] Adding artifact hsqldb-1.8.0.1.jar for WEB-INF/lib
> [DEBUG] classpath element: jta-1.0.1B.jar
> [DEBUG] classpath element: commons-logging-1.0.4.jar
> [DEBUG] classpath element: log4j-1.2.8.jar
> [DEBUG] classpath element: servlet-api-2.4.jar
> [DEBUG] classpath element: dom4j-1.6.1.jar
> [DEBUG] classpath element: ehcache-1.1.jar
> [DEBUG] classpath element: spring-1.2.6.jar
> [DEBUG] classpath element: cglib-2.1_3.jar
> [DEBUG] classpath element: jstl-1.1.2.jar
> [DEBUG] classpath element: commons-collections-2.1.1.jar
> [DEBUG] classpath element: asm-1.5.3.jar
> [DEBUG] classpath element: odmg-3.0.jar
> [DEBUG] classpath element: standard-1.1.2.jar
> [DEBUG] classpath element: antlr-2.7.6rc1.jar
> [DEBUG] classpath element: hibernate-3.1.1.jar
> [DEBUG] classpath element: hibernate-2.1.8.jar
> [DEBUG] classpath element: hsqldb-1.8.0.1.jar
> [DEBUG] classpath element: classes

(I showed the entire list of jars above that I included as
dependencies to see if you see something wrong.)

I guess an overarching question I have is this: if a Maven 2-
compatible directory structure containing a webapp project creates a
deployable war file using "mvn war:war", should I expect this project
also to run unaltered using "mvn jetty6:run"?

Thanks for taking a look at this.

--David

On Feb 28, 2006, at 1:14 PM, Jan Bartel wrote:

> [...]
>> local  repository to its state this morning before the downloads,
>> I really  would, but I don't know how to do that either.
>> Thanks!
>> --David
>> language
>> that extends applications into web and mobile media. Attend the
>> live webcast
>> and join the prime developer group breaking into this new coding
>> territory!
>> http://sel.as-us.falkag.net/sel?
>> cmd=lnk&kid=110944&bid=241720&dat=121642
> language
> that extends applications into web and mobile media. Attend the
> live webcast
> territory!
> http://sel.as-us.falkag.net/sel?
> cmd=lnk&kid=110944&bid=241720&dat=121642

Re: Catastrophic failures this morning with maven-jetty6-plugin?

Answers in line.

> Hey Jan, thanks for the reply!
You're welcome.

> To be honest, I never figured it out.  I hate to say it, but I have
> abandoned using the maven-jetty6-plugin for now.  I can deploy my war
> to Tomcat and the uri is resolved without issue.
>
> The following might have been related:
>
> * The servlet-api-2.4.jar was on my classpath, but perhaps shouldn't
> have been
> * Same for jsp-api-2.0.jar
>
> Those jars specifically had to be excluded from my war in order for
> Tomcat to deploy it.
You shouldn't need those to deploy with any servlet container so you
are right to exclude them.

> Although Jetty seemed to report that standard-1.1.2.jar and
> jstl-1.1.2.jar were on the classpath, I have my suspicions because I
> was also having trouble finding c.tld which resides in  standard-1.1.2.jar.
Ah hah! Some earlier versions of the plugin weren't registering TLDs
properly, but I think that was fixed at least from versions beta9
onwards.

> I just tried the plugin again, still to no avail.  It complains now
> with this stacktrace:
[snip]
> web-app_2_3.dtd resides in servlet-api-2.4.jar, which I specifically
> see the plugin adding to the class path (or at least this is how I
> interpret these messages):
Another "ah hah"! In beta10 I think this got messed up - the location
of the dtds moved but a lot stuff wants to see them in the old location
so we've moved it back. There will be a snapshot release later today
with this fix in it, and hopefully a beta11 not too far behind.

> I guess an overarching question I have is this: if a Maven 2- compatible
> directory structure containing a webapp project creates a  deployable
> war file using "mvn war:war", should I expect this project  also to run
> unaltered using "mvn jetty6:run"?
The short answer is yes (assuming that the war that is built is
actually deployable).

If you want to run the plugin on an unassembled webapp, you use
mvn jetty6:run.

If you want to run the plugin on an assembled webapp, you use
mvn jetty6:run-war (and the plugin will do the war:war step
automatically for you).

If you want to run the plugin on an unpacked webapp, you use
mvn jetty6:run-exploded (and the plugin will do war:war for
you to produce the exploded webapp directory).

All targets are capable of watching for changes and redeploying
the webapp when necessary (of course what is watched depends
on the target).

A lot more info on this is available at:
http://jetty.mortbay.org/jetty6/maven-plugin/index.html

> Thanks for taking a look at this.
No problem. I hope you give the plugin another go and
find it useful.

> --David
>
> On Feb 28, 2006, at 1:14 PM, Jan Bartel wrote:
>
>> Hi David,
>>
>> Is this still a problem or has it resolved?
>>
>> cheers
>> Jan
>>
>> David Main wrote:
>>
>>> Hello -
>>> Has anyone encountered this problem today:

>>> I have changed nothing about my app... only ran "mvn jetty6:run"
>>> this  morning.  Saw a bunch of new jars downloaded.  Then
>>> everything  busted.  I also tried rebuilding my repo from scratch  to
>>> the same  affect.
>>> I'm a relative newby at this, so any thoughts about how to  resolve
>>> this would be greatly appreciated.  If I could restore my  local
>>> repository to its state this morning before the downloads,  I really
>>> would, but I don't know how to do that either.
>>> Thanks!
>>> --David
>>> language
>>> that extends applications into web and mobile media. Attend the  live
>>> webcast
>>> and join the prime developer group breaking into this new coding
>>> territory!
>>> http://sel.as-us.falkag.net/sel?
>>> cmd=lnk&kid=110944&bid=241720&dat=121642

>> language
>> that extends applications into web and mobile media. Attend the  live
>> webcast
>> and join the prime developer group breaking into this new coding
>> territory!
>> http://sel.as-us.falkag.net/sel? cmd=lnk&kid=110944&bid=241720&dat=121642

Re: Re: Catastrophic failures this morning with maven-jetty6-plugin?

David Main
Hello Jan -

You've done some fine work and corrected most if not all of the
errors that were causing my "catastrophic failures" (sorry for the
melodrama, but I was shocked and dismayed when the fantastic progress
and awesome productivity that I had just begun to enjoy seemed
permanently imperiled).  My application starts again as it did in the
past and runs more-or-less as expected.

Prior to when I posted my original message, I was already wrestling
with configuring log4j.  I was following the advice I could find, but
nothing seemed to work.  Indeed, part of the problem seemed to be
that before I could get my configurations in, Jetty6 was already
using slf4j, which hard-codes the log level at info.  In Tomcat, I
discovered that the log4j.properties file is processed perfectly--
just as it was described.

So again, a corollary to the question I posed earlier about
compatibility of webapps between Tomcat and Jetty6: if log4j
configures correctly in one, should I expect to see the same results
in the other?

Anyhow, I tried the various invocation targets you described below,
and they seem to be work as stated.  That's nice.  I feel a bit
relieved to hear that some of my situation was indeed caused by TLDs
not being properly registered, etc...  I honestly thought I was
losing my head.

I'm glad to see the plugin working again, because it truly seems to
be the nicest environment to work in when your focus is on the
presentation side of things.  Being able to edit the JSP code in the
native location in your development environment and then see it
reflected instantly in the browser is quite useful.

As always, your assistance is so very much appreciated!

--David