Any way to not re-compile JSP Tags?

natjohns
Hi all,

I've searched everywhere to find an option so that JSP Tag files are not
re-compiled every time a JSP file that uses them changes.  Is there such
an option?  I know that in Tomcat, the tags are only converted to java
and them compiled when they change.

The problem is that every time I restart Jetty, then change a JSP that
includes a JSP Custom Tag (the kind that are written as snippets of JSP,
not the old Java types), then all of the tags are recompiled.  We
heavily use tags and this means every JSP compile takes 30-60 seconds,
which kills development.

Am I missing an obvious setting?

BTW: We start jetty manually in embedded mode, but I would be happy to
use a jetty.xml if there is an option to scan the filesystem to check if
a date on a tag has changed before recompiling or something similar.

Thanks!
Nate

Re: Any way to not re-compile JSP Tags?

Nik Gonzalez
Hi Nathaniel,

Try using temporary directories for your webapp.
http://docs.codehaus.org/display/JETTY/Temporary+Directories

HTH,
Nik

Nik Gonzalez wrote:
> Hi Nathaniel,
>
> Try using temporary directories for your webapp.
> http://docs.codehaus.org/display/JETTY/Temporary+Directories

Thanks Nik.  I did this yesterday, and the tags still recompile for
every jsp page recompile.  I started using jasper (via maven from tomcat
5.5.15) and I am back to really fast jsp compilation and the custom tags
are not recompiled.  I guess the jspC compiler is just not up to par
yet.  I hope it gets there soon.

If anyone knows otherwise, I'd be happy to hear.

Nate

> HTH,
> Nik
>
> Nathaniel A. Johnson wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I've searched everywhere to find an option so that JSP Tag files are not
>> re-compiled every time a JSP file that uses them changes.  Is there such
>> an option?  I know that in Tomcat, the tags are only converted to java
>> and them compiled when they change.
>>
>> The problem is that every time I restart Jetty, then change a JSP that
>> includes a JSP Custom Tag (the kind that are written as snippets of JSP,
>> not the old Java types), then all of the tags are recompiled.  We
>> heavily use tags and this means every JSP compile takes 30-60 seconds,
>> which kills development.
>>
>> Am I missing an obvious setting?
>>
>> BTW: We start jetty manually in embedded mode, but I would be happy to
>> use a jetty.xml if there is an option to scan the filesystem to check if
>> a date on a tag has changed before recompiling or something similar.
>>
>> Thanks!
>> Nate

>> !DSPAM:599,463f894e185341836716179!

Re: Any way to not re-compile JSP Tags?

jan_bartel
Nate,

Were you using jsp-2.0 or jsp-2.1 in jetty?

Jan Bartel wrote:
> Nate,
>
> Were you using jsp-2.0 or jsp-2.1 in jetty?

I was using 2.1.  When I started using jasper I moved back down to 2.0.

Why do you ask?

Nate

> regards
> Jan
>
> Nathaniel A. Johnson wrote:
>> Nik Gonzalez wrote:
>>> Hi Nathaniel,
>>>
>>> Try using temporary directories for your webapp.
>>> http://docs.codehaus.org/display/JETTY/Temporary+Directories
>> Thanks Nik.  I did this yesterday, and the tags still recompile for
>> every jsp page recompile.  I started using jasper (via maven from tomcat
>> 5.5.15) and I am back to really fast jsp compilation and the custom tags
>> are not recompiled.  I guess the jspC compiler is just not up to par
>> yet.  I hope it gets there soon.
>>
>> If anyone knows otherwise, I'd be happy to hear.
>>
>> Nate
>>
>>> HTH,
>>> Nik

Re: Any way to not re-compile JSP Tags?

jan_bartel
Hi Nate,

Hhhm. I'm using jsp-2.1 and I can't recreate this problem using the
test webapp and setting a specific tmp directory (I just created
a dir called "work" at $JETTY-HOME/work and Jetty knows that this is
the tmp dir to use).

If you run the test webapp, then click on "Other JSP Tests"
then "Tag File Demo" you will be running the jsp found in
$JETTY-HOME/webapps/test/jsp/tagfile.jsp. If restart jetty, then
edit that file, then the tag it uses (src in
$JETTY-HOME/webapps/test/WEB-INF/tags/panel.tag) does not recompile -
the date on the generated class file does not change.

If you can send the steps to reproduce this with the test webapp
we'll be able to investigate further.

Nathaniel A. Johnson wrote:

> Jan Bartel wrote:
>> Nate,
>>
>> Were you using jsp-2.0 or jsp-2.1 in jetty?
>
> I was using 2.1.  When I started using jasper I moved back down to 2.0.
>
> Why do you ask?
>
> Nate
>

>> regards
>> Jan
>>
>> Nathaniel A. Johnson wrote:

>>> Thanks Nik.  I did this yesterday, and the tags still recompile for
>>> every jsp page recompile.  I started using jasper (via maven from
>>> tomcat 5.5.15) and I am back to really fast jsp compilation and the
>>> custom tags are not recompiled.  I guess the jspC compiler is just
>>> not up to par yet.  I hope it gets there soon.
>>>
>>> If anyone knows otherwise, I'd be happy to hear.
>>>
>>> Nate

Re: Any way to not re-compile JSP Tags?

natjohns
Thanks for the note.  We were using tags stored in a jar inside the
META-INF/tags directory rather than the WEB-INF/tags.  Do you guys have
tests for this scenario?

Nate

Jan Bartel wrote:

> Hi Nate,
>
> Hhhm. I'm using jsp-2.1 and I can't recreate this problem using the
> test webapp and setting a specific tmp directory (I just created
> a dir called "work" at $JETTY-HOME/work and Jetty knows that this is
> the tmp dir to use).
>
> If you run the test webapp, then click on "Other JSP Tests"
> then "Tag File Demo" you will be running the jsp found in
> $JETTY-HOME/webapps/test/jsp/tagfile.jsp. If restart jetty, then
> edit that file, then the tag it uses (src in
> $JETTY-HOME/webapps/test/WEB-INF/tags/panel.tag) does not recompile -
> the date on the generated class file does not change.
>
> If you can send the steps to reproduce this with the test webapp
> we'll be able to investigate further.
>
> cheers
> Jan
>
> Nathaniel A. Johnson wrote:
>> Jan Bartel wrote:
>>> Nate,
>>>
>>> Were you using jsp-2.0 or jsp-2.1 in jetty?
>> I was using 2.1.  When I started using jasper I moved back down to 2.0.
>>
>> Why do you ask?
>>
>> Nate
>>

>>> regards
>>> Jan

Re: Any way to not re-compile JSP Tags?

jan_bartel
Nate,

No, we don't. Do you have a tag jar file that I can test with?

Jan Bartel wrote:
> Nate,
>
> No, we don't. Do you have a tag jar file that I can test with?

Actually, no we don't.  It is the same concept as the WEB-INF, but this
allows you to share the tags easier because they are in a jar.  Here is
a page that explains it (scroll down to the part about META-INF):

http://www.examulator.com/moodle/mod/resource/view.php?id=402

Nate