AJP13 abandoned

Richard Vowles-2
More feedback - I do actually want to use this but we had to roll back,
it was unusable unfortunately. Dropping the same sites back to the
normal Selector direct HTTP interface solved the problems we were having.

Apache is set up like this:

<VirtualHost *:80>
  ServerName www.sitename.com
  <Location />
  ProxyPass ajp://localhost:5001/
  </Location>
</VirtualHost>

Jetty set up with this:
<Set name="connectors">
      <Array type="org.mortbay.jetty.Connector">
        <Item>
          <New class="org.mortbay.jetty.ajp.Ajp13SocketConnector">
             <Set name="port">5001</Set>
          </New>
        </Item>
      </Array>
    </Set>

Problems two-fold:
1) I am getting a lot of FULL errors, I haven't seen any direct problem
with it, I use the site and never get an error relating to missing
content, but they are all over the place in the error logs. When errors
occur, they go into the logs, so I have them for this one.
2) *Way* more serious is that big sets of data posts back fail. Any
attempt to post back a few k of data (as per a couple of text areas or
using the FCKEditor) fails. This makes it unusable so I have had to roll
back. I don't understand why this is happening, I cannot get it
duplicated in my test environment, but there I only run 1 server (and
the apache server front ends about 10 sites running on 3 different
jettys). I don't see any errors for this.

Apache says:
[Sun Feb 11 17:06:01 2007] [error] (104)Connection reset by peer:
ajp_ilink_receive() can't receive header
[Sun Feb 11 17:06:01 2007] [error] ajp_read_header: ajp_ilink_receive failed
[Sun Feb 11 17:06:01 2007] [error] (120006)APR does not understand this
error code: proxy: read response failed from 127.0.0.1:5001 (localhost)
[

Jetty says:

java.lang.IllegalStateException: FULL
        at
org.mortbay.jetty.ajp.Ajp13Generator.addContent(Ajp13Generator.java:162)
        at
org.mortbay.jetty.AbstractGenerator$Output.write(AbstractGenerator.java:614)
        at
org.mortbay.jetty.AbstractGenerator$Output.write(AbstractGenerator.java:569)
        at
sun.nio.cs.StreamEncoder$CharsetSE.writeBytes(StreamEncoder.java:336)
        at
sun.nio.cs.StreamEncoder$CharsetSE.implWrite(StreamEncoder.java:395)
        at sun.nio.cs.StreamEncoder.write(StreamEncoder.java:136)
        at java.io.OutputStreamWriter.write(OutputStreamWriter.java:191)
        at
org.apache.velocity.io.VelocityWriter.flushBuffer(VelocityWriter.java:176)
        at
org.apache.velocity.io.VelocityWriter.write(VelocityWriter.java:345)
        at
org.apache.velocity.io.VelocityWriter.write(VelocityWriter.java:357) ...

org.mortbay.jetty.EofException
        at
org.mortbay.jetty.ajp.Ajp13Generator.flush(Ajp13Generator.java:526)
        at
org.mortbay.jetty.AbstractGenerator$Output.flush(AbstractGenerator.java:558)
        at
org.mortbay.jetty.HttpConnection$Output.flush(HttpConnection.java:828)
        at
org.mortbay.jetty.AbstractGenerator$Output.blockForOutput(AbstractGenerator.java:524)
        at
org.mortbay.jetty.AbstractGenerator$Output.write(AbstractGenerator.java:622)
        at
org.mortbay.jetty.AbstractGenerator$Output.write(AbstractGenerator.java:569)
        at
sun.nio.cs.StreamEncoder$CharsetSE.writeBytes(StreamEncoder.java:336)
        at
sun.nio.cs.StreamEncoder$CharsetSE.implWrite(StreamEncoder.java:395)
        at sun.nio.cs.StreamEncoder.write(StreamEncoder.java:136)
        at java.io.OutputStreamWriter.write(OutputStreamWriter.java:191)
        at
org.apache.velocity.io.VelocityWriter.flushBuffer(VelocityWriter.java:176)
        at
org.apache.velocity.io.VelocityWriter.write(VelocityWriter.java:345)
        at
org.apache.velocity.io.VelocityWriter.write(VelocityWriter.java:357) ...
Caused by: java.net.SocketException: Broken pipe
        at
java.net.SocketOutputStream.socketWrite(SocketOutputStream.java:92)
        at java.net.SocketOutputStream.write(SocketOutputStream.java:136)
        at org.mortbay.io.ByteArrayBuffer.writeTo(ByteArrayBuffer.java:158)
        at org.mortbay.io.bio.StreamEndPoint.flush(StreamEndPoint.java:114)
        at
org.mortbay.jetty.ajp.Ajp13Generator.flush(Ajp13Generator.java:454)
        ... 45 more

Re: AJP13 abandoned

Russell Howe
On Sun, Feb 11, 2007 at 08:02:06PM +1300, Richard Vowles wrote:

> More feedback - I do actually want to use this but we had to roll back,
> it was unusable unfortunately. Dropping the same sites back to the
> normal Selector direct HTTP interface solved the problems we were having.
>
> Apache is set up like this:
>
> Problems two-fold:
> 1) I am getting a lot of FULL errors, I haven't seen any direct problem
> with it, I use the site and never get an error relating to missing
> content, but they are all over the place in the error logs. When errors
> occur, they go into the logs, so I have them for this one.

I've seen some stack traces which at a glance look similar - I haven't got
any to hand to check against, unfortunately.

> 2) *Way* more serious is that big sets of data posts back fail. Any
> attempt to post back a few k of data (as per a couple of text areas or
> using the FCKEditor) fails. This makes it unusable so I have had to roll
> back. I don't understand why this is happening, I cannot get it
> duplicated in my test environment, but there I only run 1 server (and
> the apache server front ends about 10 sites running on 3 different
> jettys). I don't see any errors for this.

There was a problem with POST requests which caused the AJP13 connector
to hang. Fixed in 6.1.2pre1, I think. See JETTY-220 in the JIRA:

http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/JETTY-220

also, the following might be of interest:

http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/JETTY-228

I'm using the AJP13Connector in production behind Apache 1.3.x and
mod_jk (whatever versions are in Debian sarge), but I have problems
using it with Apache 2.0.x and mod_jk2 (which I understand is deprecated
anyway). I'd be fairly sure there are still some bugs lurking in the
AJP13Connector, but most of the show-stoppers seem to be gone.

6.1.2 should be the first release with a half-decent AJP13Connector
(thanks Leopold, Greg and and anyone else who worked on it)

--
Russell Howe

Re: AJP13 abandoned

Richard Vowles-2
Russell Howe wrote:

> There was a problem with POST requests which caused the AJP13 connector
> to hang. Fixed in 6.1.2pre1, I think. See JETTY-220 in the JIRA:
>
> http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/JETTY-220
>
> also, the following might be of interest:
>
> http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/JETTY-228
>
> I'm using the AJP13Connector in production behind Apache 1.3.x and
> mod_jk (whatever versions are in Debian sarge), but I have problems
> using it with Apache 2.0.x and mod_jk2 (which I understand is deprecated
> anyway). I'd be fairly sure there are still some bugs lurking in the
> AJP13Connector, but most of the show-stoppers seem to be gone.
>
> 6.1.2 should be the first release with a half-decent AJP13Connector
> (thanks Leopold, Greg and and anyone else who worked on it
Hi Russell,

I'm using the latest snapshot build from the SVN head repository, so I
don't think I am behind at all. The first one gave me some useful info,
the tcpdump - I will try that and see if I can get more information. I'm
able to deploy the whole setup on a different port, so I can test it and
it is 100% reproduceable, so that helps at least! I am using
mod_proxy_ajp rather than mod_jk*, not sure if that makes a difference?

Weird thing is, on the Windows Apache on my test machine it works fine.
Not until I deploy to Apache on SuSE 10.1 do I get a problem...

Richard

Re: AJP13 abandoned

Richard Vowles-2
Richard Vowles wrote:
> I'm using the latest snapshot build from the SVN head repository, so I
> don't think I am behind at all.

Sorry - bad sentence. I meant to say that I don't think it is that I am
on an old version. I'll force a clean and rebuild of Jetty today tho,
just to be sure!

Richard

Re: AJP13 abandoned

Russell Howe
On Mon, Feb 12, 2007 at 09:01:47AM +1300, Richard Vowles wrote:
> I am using
> mod_proxy_ajp rather than mod_jk*, not sure if that makes a difference?

it quite possibly could - until I get that available in Debian stable, I
doubt we'll be using it here, so I haven't tested it.

I can say that mod_jk on Apache 1.3.x seems to work mostly OK, mod_jk2
on Apache 2.0.x has some issues and mod_jk on Apache-ssl 1.3.x used to
have issues but they ought to be fixed now.

I'd be hopeful that with some packet traces and log messages you should
be able to furnish the developers with the information they need to get
to the bottom of your troubles and about a week later you'll have a
reliable fix (that's my experience, anyway).

> Weird thing is, on the Windows Apache on my test machine it works fine.
> Not until I deploy to Apache on SuSE 10.1 do I get a problem...

Hmm

If I get chance, I'll create a Debian unstable VM and test with
mod_proxy_ajp to see if I can cause any misbehaviour with our setup.

--
Russell Howe

Re: AJP13 abandoned

Greg Wilkins

Richard,

if you are getting a tcpdump of this, then load it up in wireshark (or use
wireshark to do the capture).

Wireshark understands AJP13 (or at least one of the versions of it),
and that will help work out what requests/responses are the problem.

Also open a JIRA and attach the dump to it.

sorry - getting a stable AJP13 connector is a big pain because of the
poor state of the spec and the many many different implementations out
there.  It was like this when we first implemented it and the new
connector is a totally new impl....   But we hope to get all the gotcha's
out soon.

cheers

Richard Vowles wrote:

> Russell Howe wrote:
>> There was a problem with POST requests which caused the AJP13 connector
>> to hang. Fixed in 6.1.2pre1, I think. See JETTY-220 in the JIRA:
>>
>> http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/JETTY-220
>>
>> also, the following might be of interest:
>>
>> http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/JETTY-228
>>
>> I'm using the AJP13Connector in production behind Apache 1.3.x and
>> mod_jk (whatever versions are in Debian sarge), but I have problems
>> using it with Apache 2.0.x and mod_jk2 (which I understand is deprecated
>> anyway). I'd be fairly sure there are still some bugs lurking in the
>> AJP13Connector, but most of the show-stoppers seem to be gone.
>>
>> 6.1.2 should be the first release with a half-decent AJP13Connector
>> (thanks Leopold, Greg and and anyone else who worked on it
> Hi Russell,
>
> I'm using the latest snapshot build from the SVN head repository, so I
> don't think I am behind at all. The first one gave me some useful info,
> the tcpdump - I will try that and see if I can get more information. I'm
> able to deploy the whole setup on a different port, so I can test it and
> it is 100% reproduceable, so that helps at least! I am using
> mod_proxy_ajp rather than mod_jk*, not sure if that makes a difference?
>
> Weird thing is, on the Windows Apache on my test machine it works fine.
> Not until I deploy to Apache on SuSE 10.1 do I get a problem...
>
> Richard

> Get stuff done quickly with pre-integrated technology to make your job easier.

Greg Wilkins<[hidden email]>  US: +1  3104915462   IT: +39 3349267680
http://www.webtide.com           UK: +44(0)2079932589 AU: +61(0)417786631

Re: AJP13 abandoned

Leopoldo Lee Agdeppa III
Richard,

Ive just built the latest mod_jk from source, ill test it with a very
large post and see what will happen,
ill get back to you soon...

thanks
bong

Greg Wilkins wrote:

> Richard,
>
> if you are getting a tcpdump of this, then load it up in wireshark (or use
> wireshark to do the capture).
>
> Wireshark understands AJP13 (or at least one of the versions of it),
> and that will help work out what requests/responses are the problem.
>
> Also open a JIRA and attach the dump to it.
>
> sorry - getting a stable AJP13 connector is a big pain because of the
> poor state of the spec and the many many different implementations out
> there.  It was like this when we first implemented it and the new
> connector is a totally new impl....   But we hope to get all the gotcha's
> out soon.
>
> cheers
>

> Richard Vowles wrote:
>
>> Russell Howe wrote:
>>
>>> There was a problem with POST requests which caused the AJP13 connector
>>> to hang. Fixed in 6.1.2pre1, I think. See JETTY-220 in the JIRA:
>>>
>>> http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/JETTY-220
>>>
>>> also, the following might be of interest:
>>>
>>> http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/JETTY-228
>>>
>>> I'm using the AJP13Connector in production behind Apache 1.3.x and
>>> mod_jk (whatever versions are in Debian sarge), but I have problems
>>> using it with Apache 2.0.x and mod_jk2 (which I understand is deprecated
>>> anyway). I'd be fairly sure there are still some bugs lurking in the
>>> AJP13Connector, but most of the show-stoppers seem to be gone.
>>>
>>> 6.1.2 should be the first release with a half-decent AJP13Connector
>>> (thanks Leopold, Greg and and anyone else who worked on it
>>>
>> Hi Russell,
>>
>> I'm using the latest snapshot build from the SVN head repository, so I
>> don't think I am behind at all. The first one gave me some useful info,
>> the tcpdump - I will try that and see if I can get more information. I'm
>> able to deploy the whole setup on a different port, so I can test it and
>> it is 100% reproduceable, so that helps at least! I am using
>> mod_proxy_ajp rather than mod_jk*, not sure if that makes a difference?
>>
>> Weird thing is, on the Windows Apache on my test machine it works fine.
>> Not until I deploy to Apache on SuSE 10.1 do I get a problem...
>>
>> Richard

>> Get stuff done quickly with pre-integrated technology to make your job easier.

Re: AJP13 abandoned

Leopoldo Lee Agdeppa III
Richard,

I tried the mod_jk and when posting a large requests, its really buggy
when you have more than 8k of data,
but, I tried it again with mod_proxy_ajp theres really no problem, and
Ive been testing this with very large uploads
and data with mod_proxy_ajp there where no errors.

I think we will need to do more work on mod_jk, but for the meantime
please consider using mod_proxy_ajp if its ok :)

thanks
bong

Leopoldo Lee Agdeppa III wrote:

> Richard,
>
> Ive just built the latest mod_jk from source, ill test it with a very
> large post and see what will happen,
> ill get back to you soon...
>
> thanks
> bong
>
> Greg Wilkins wrote:
>
>> Richard,
>>
>> if you are getting a tcpdump of this, then load it up in wireshark (or use
>> wireshark to do the capture).
>>
>> Wireshark understands AJP13 (or at least one of the versions of it),
>> and that will help work out what requests/responses are the problem.
>>
>> Also open a JIRA and attach the dump to it.
>>
>> sorry - getting a stable AJP13 connector is a big pain because of the
>> poor state of the spec and the many many different implementations out
>> there.  It was like this when we first implemented it and the new
>> connector is a totally new impl....   But we hope to get all the gotcha's
>> out soon.
>>
>> cheers
>>

>> Richard Vowles wrote:

>>> Hi Russell,
>>>
>>> I'm using the latest snapshot build from the SVN head repository, so I
>>> don't think I am behind at all. The first one gave me some useful info,
>>> the tcpdump - I will try that and see if I can get more information. I'm
>>> able to deploy the whole setup on a different port, so I can test it and
>>> it is 100% reproduceable, so that helps at least! I am using
>>> mod_proxy_ajp rather than mod_jk*, not sure if that makes a difference?
>>>
>>> Weird thing is, on the Windows Apache on my test machine it works fine.
>>> Not until I deploy to Apache on SuSE 10.1 do I get a problem...
>>>
>>> Richard

>>> Using Tomcat but need to do more? Need to support web services, security?
>>> Get stuff done quickly with pre-integrated technology to make your job easier.
>>> Download IBM WebSphere Application Server v.1.0.1 based on Apache Geronimo
>>> http://sel.as-us.falkag.net/sel?cmd=lnk&kid=120709&bid=263057&dat=121642

Re: AJP13 abandoned

Richard Vowles-2
Leopoldo Lee Agdeppa III wrote:

> Richard,
>
> I tried the mod_jk and when posting a large requests, its really buggy
> when you have more than 8k of data,
> but, I tried it again with mod_proxy_ajp theres really no problem, and
> Ive been testing this with very large uploads
> and data with mod_proxy_ajp there where no errors.
>
> I think we will need to do more work on mod_jk, but for the meantime
> please consider using mod_proxy_ajp if its ok :)
>
> thanks
> bong

Hi bong - I *am* using mod_proxy_ajp. Let me get back to you when I have
time to get the dump... Thanks!

Richard

Re: AJP13 abandoned

Edoardo Ceccarelli
Hi, do you know if mod_proxy_ajp works with apache 1.3 ?

thanks
Eddy

Leopoldo Lee Agdeppa III wrote:

> Richard,
>
> I tried the mod_jk and when posting a large requests, its really buggy
> when you have more than 8k of data,
> but, I tried it again with mod_proxy_ajp theres really no problem, and
> Ive been testing this with very large uploads
> and data with mod_proxy_ajp there where no errors.
>
> I think we will need to do more work on mod_jk, but for the meantime
> please consider using mod_proxy_ajp if its ok :)
>
> thanks
> bong

AJP13 abandoned

Leopoldo Lee Agdeppa III
Hello Edoardo

mod_proxy_ajp is only available for apache2, only mod_jk, currently we
are still fixing jetty ajp for mod_jk,
sorry for the inconvenience. we will send  a patch soon

thanks
bong