5.1.4 Startup problem in vmware

Karthik S
Hi,
I have a problem starting jetty inside a redhat 7.3 vmware image. The
same setup runs fine outside the VM. Here is the configuration:
Jetty 5.1.4 (downloaded as Jetty-5.1.4.zip).
OS: redhat linux 7.3  kernel 2.4.18-3
java version "1.4.2_04"
Java Runtime environment, Standard Edition (build 1.4.2_04-b05)

Actions that lead to the problem:
1) downloaded the zip file.
2) unzipped it.
3) cd jetty-5.1.4; java -DDEBUG -jar start.jar
This lead to lots of errors of the form :
org.mortbay.xml.XmlParser$Handler.error(XmlParser.java:370) >40> EXCEPTION
org.xml.sax.SAXParseException: sch-props-correct.2: a schema cannot
contain two global components with the same name; this one contains
two occurrences of 'http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/j2ee,descriptionGroup'

The complete log is attached with this mail (both plain text and
zipped). Log was generated by starting jetty with DEBUG option (java
-DDEBUG -jar start.jar).

Any help in resolving the issue is appreciated.

Thanks,
karthik

Re: 5.1.4 Startup problem in vmware

Greg Wilkins-5

Looks like a problem with the XML parser validation.  What version of xerces are you using?
Can you try without validation

 -Dorg.mortbay.xml.XmlParser.NotValidating=true

Also, if this is an embedded application, you may want to consider
looking at Jetty 6 - it can be simply configured without any XML
and has a small footprint and good performance.  But it is only in Alpha!

cheers

Karthik S wrote:

> Hi,
> I have a problem starting jetty inside a redhat 7.3 vmware image. The
> same setup runs fine outside the VM. Here is the configuration:
> Jetty 5.1.4 (downloaded as Jetty-5.1.4.zip).
> OS: redhat linux 7.3  kernel 2.4.18-3
> java version "1.4.2_04"
> Java Runtime environment, Standard Edition (build 1.4.2_04-b05)
>
> Actions that lead to the problem:
> 1) downloaded the zip file.
> 2) unzipped it.
> 3) cd jetty-5.1.4; java -DDEBUG -jar start.jar
> This lead to lots of errors of the form :
> org.mortbay.xml.XmlParser$Handler.error(XmlParser.java:370) >40> EXCEPTION
> org.xml.sax.SAXParseException: sch-props-correct.2: a schema cannot
> contain two global components with the same name; this one contains
> two occurrences of 'http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/j2ee,descriptionGroup'
>
> The complete log is attached with this mail (both plain text and
> zipped). Log was generated by starting jetty with DEBUG option (java
> -DDEBUG -jar start.jar).
>
> Any help in resolving the issue is appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> karthik

Re: 5.1.4 Startup problem in vmware

Karthik S
Thanks. It worked. I'm using the xerces parser that comes with jetty (I dont have a separate parser in my classpath). It's strange that the exact setup works with parser validation outside the VM but fails inside (may not be a VM issue but it just happens there). Any thoughts ?

Thanks,
karthik

Karthik S wrote:

> Hi,
> I have a problem starting jetty inside a redhat 7.3 vmware image. The
> same setup runs fine outside the VM. Here is the configuration:
> Jetty 5.1.4 (downloaded as Jetty-5.1.4.zip).
> OS: redhat linux 7.3  kernel 2.4.18-3
> java version "1.4.2_04 "
> Java Runtime environment, Standard Edition (build 1.4.2_04-b05)
>
> Actions that lead to the problem:
> 1) downloaded the zip file.
> 2) unzipped it.
> 3) cd jetty-5.1.4; java -DDEBUG -jar start.jar
> This lead to lots of errors of the form :
> org.mortbay.xml.XmlParser$Handler.error(XmlParser.java:370) >40> EXCEPTION
> org.xml.sax.SAXParseException: sch-props-correct.2: a schema cannot
> contain two global components with the same name; this one contains
> two occurrences of 'http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/j2ee,descriptionGroup'
>
> The complete log is attached with this mail (both plain text and
> zipped). Log was generated by starting jetty with DEBUG option (java
> -DDEBUG -jar start.jar).
>
> Any help in resolving the issue is appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> karthik

Re: 5.1.4 Startup problem in vmware

jan_bartel
Karthik,

Yes, you are right it is very strange indeed. I noticed that the entity
resolution is working differently for redhat in vmware. When resolving
the .xsd files, once it has resolved a .xsd file from inside the
javax.servlet.jar, it tries to use a jar: url to resolve all the others.
This works due to some fallback code in o.m.x.XmlParser, but it
could perhaps be contributing to the error that you experience. So, no
solution, but maybe another piece of the puzzle.